Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin Pershing
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Polyvinyl
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
If you dig jangle pop that turns on the axis of very cleverly arranged hooks, dig into Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, who leapfrogs from early REM to The Shins without missing a head-shaking beat. Guitar nerds will love the interlocking progressions of "Glue Girls" and "Boring Fountain" and smart but heartbroken sensitive types should grok the ambling vibe of "Dead Right." Lead singers Philip Dickey and John Robert Cardwell are chirpy harmonizers the whole way through, transforming light-as-air tracks like "The Beach Song" and "Heers" into bleeding-heart math puzzles. Some may feel that Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin is a bit soft, but they've got pull like heroin on this addictive sophomore effort.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
XLR8R Downloads Player