Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin Pershing
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Polyvinyl
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
If you dig jangle pop that turns on the axis of very cleverly arranged hooks, dig into Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, who leapfrogs from early REM to The Shins without missing a head-shaking beat. Guitar nerds will love the interlocking progressions of "Glue Girls" and "Boring Fountain" and smart but heartbroken sensitive types should grok the ambling vibe of "Dead Right." Lead singers Philip Dickey and John Robert Cardwell are chirpy harmonizers the whole way through, transforming light-as-air tracks like "The Beach Song" and "Heers" into bleeding-heart math puzzles. Some may feel that Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin is a bit soft, but they've got pull like heroin on this addictive sophomore effort.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player