Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin Pershing
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Polyvinyl
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
If you dig jangle pop that turns on the axis of very cleverly arranged hooks, dig into Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, who leapfrogs from early REM to The Shins without missing a head-shaking beat. Guitar nerds will love the interlocking progressions of "Glue Girls" and "Boring Fountain" and smart but heartbroken sensitive types should grok the ambling vibe of "Dead Right." Lead singers Philip Dickey and John Robert Cardwell are chirpy harmonizers the whole way through, transforming light-as-air tracks like "The Beach Song" and "Heers" into bleeding-heart math puzzles. Some may feel that Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin is a bit soft, but they've got pull like heroin on this addictive sophomore effort.
- FeatureXLR8R's Best of 2014: Readers Poll
- NewsWatch Mala Dig in John Peel's Record Collection
- FeatureXLR8R's Best of 2014: Releases (15 - 1)
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Midland, Nina Kraviz, our Best of 2014, and More
- MP3Rihanna "What's My Name? (Federation Remix feat. Vybz Kartel)"
XLR8R Downloads Player