- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Six Degrees
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Brazilian singer CeU caught many an ear with her debut album last year, so it makes sense that her name's getting the most attention on this project. But rather than just reprising her previous work, Sonantes brings together several prominent Brazilian musicians to create songs for imaginary films. Though those supposed movies get short shrift (a line in the press materials, and apparently nothing in the liner notes), the songs speak for themselves: sometimes hazy, sometimes sparse atmospheric rock, with CeU's vocals floating above. There's the occasional electronic touch (nice effects on “Toque de Coito”) or retro or Afro-Cuban trace (the throwback feel to “Mambobit”). Sinuous, inventive, and, yes, cinematic. Now someone just needs to make those films.
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- NewsMaya Jane Coles to Helm Next Fabric Mix Album
XLR8R Downloads Player