- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Six Degrees
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Brazilian singer CeU caught many an ear with her debut album last year, so it makes sense that her name's getting the most attention on this project. But rather than just reprising her previous work, Sonantes brings together several prominent Brazilian musicians to create songs for imaginary films. Though those supposed movies get short shrift (a line in the press materials, and apparently nothing in the liner notes), the songs speak for themselves: sometimes hazy, sometimes sparse atmospheric rock, with CeU's vocals floating above. There's the occasional electronic touch (nice effects on “Toque de Coito”) or retro or Afro-Cuban trace (the throwback feel to “Mambobit”). Sinuous, inventive, and, yes, cinematic. Now someone just needs to make those films.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player