Soulo Man, the Manipulator
- Words: Dan Sicko
- Label: Plug Research
With "post-rock" creeping up on the decade mark, it's time for some other journalist to define what's next. Or one could keep listening to the likes of Soulo for non-textual clues. Electronic beats help shape a good portion of the album, but its sonic breadth is what truly impresses. "Emotions, Can You Trust Them?" ensconses a Lynchian fetish for '50s rock in guitar-and-harmonica-driven dream-pop. And "Your Erroneous Zones" has some Rockford Files fun with the aforementioned genre definition, putting a big ol' belt buckle on its constraints. Man, The Manipulator sees Soulo's multi-instrumental palette spread across a larger canvas. Their sound keeps getting bigger, and better.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player