Spacek Vintage Hi-Tech
- Words: Joe Rice
- Label: !K7
It seems the Courvoisier r&b that used to be the purview of our older, more normal siblings' bedroom missions has now become our downtime soundtrack. Spacek are a London trio on their sophomore release, providing an angular and unexpected work of neo-soul-that focuses on the neo. "Life is like a bassline," Steve Spacek sings (almost whispers, really) in songs both knowing and personal. The beats (by Spacek, Morgan Zarate and Edmund Cavill) are deceptively minimal-seemingly simple, yet rewarding subsequent listens with unexpected sound design and a decidedly non-retro approach to arrangement. Nothing here swings like their debut single "Eve," but Spacek are still a jaded clubber's best friend.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player