Spring Heel Jack The Sweetness Of The Water
- Words: Sean O'Neal
- Label: Thirsty Ear
John Coxon and Ashley Wales are hardly the "electronic" musicians they used to be. They've fruitfully evolved into full-on electro-acoustic free-jazz fusionists. Each subdued piece on The Sweetness feels live and hardly manipulated. The flowing trumpet of Wadada Leo Smith and the weeping saxophone of Evan Parker float through the gentle mayhem, full of subconscious noise, disorderly rhythms, irregular melodies and dramatic chord progressions. Altogether, imagine the druggy drone of Spacemen 3 fused with the intelligent sound exploration of John Cage and then outshined by the kind of free jazz collaborators Miles Davis might employ.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player