Spring Heel Jack The Sweetness Of The Water
- Words: Sean O'Neal
- Label: Thirsty Ear
John Coxon and Ashley Wales are hardly the "electronic" musicians they used to be. They've fruitfully evolved into full-on electro-acoustic free-jazz fusionists. Each subdued piece on The Sweetness feels live and hardly manipulated. The flowing trumpet of Wadada Leo Smith and the weeping saxophone of Evan Parker float through the gentle mayhem, full of subconscious noise, disorderly rhythms, irregular melodies and dramatic chord progressions. Altogether, imagine the druggy drone of Spacemen 3 fused with the intelligent sound exploration of John Cage and then outshined by the kind of free jazz collaborators Miles Davis might employ.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player