- Words: Heath K. Hignight
- Label: Warp
Has all that preceded been but a prelude in the world of Squarepusher? One would certainly think so after listening to Ultravisitor, Tom Jenkinson's eighth album. On 2001's Go Plastic, Jenkinson finally achieved a balance between his at-times spastic funk bass melodies and breakneck beat programming. Ultravisitor reaches further out while simulataneously harkening back to the nebulous experiments with slower jazz tempos on Selection Sixteen and Budakhan Mindphone. The title track busts out of the breakbeat gate like anything on Hard Normal Daddy, but its darkened brow and the quixotic chiming leitmotif floating among the clouds is decidedly fresh. Punctuating the madness are sullen jazz guitar ditties like "I Fulcrum" and "Andrei," which contribute to a sense that Ultravisitor is Jenkinson's first stab at a wondrous Squarepusher opera.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player