Sr. Mandril Sr. Mandril
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Three Sixty
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Mexico City's Sr. Mandril lives up to its district's new global reputation on this experimental effort. Fronted by Germán González and Ramsés Ramírez, this group's future-jazz sound bridges programmed and live instrumentation for a freeform output that never quite follows one steady sonic path. It's no wonder Sr. Mandril was such a huge hit at Montreal's Jazz Fest in 2006-these guys thrive on improvisation. On any given track, one can expect to hear a new amalgam-"El Otro Joe," for one, features elements of soulful house, Latin rock, and jazz. Because of Sr. Mandril's jam-band style, though, these tunes may be better enjoyed when played on the stage.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player