- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: Lo Dubs
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Starkey’s productions brilliantly ride the jagged line between hip-hop, grime, and dubstep, so it’s exciting to get a glimpse of the musical peers he thinks are creating similar sounds. The mix is packed with crazy blipped-out synths, over-the-top crashing wobble effects, maddeningly complex beats, and a nearly endless supply of relentless, manic energy. Listen closely and you can pick out the differences between Raffertie’s teeth-rattling tweak-outs, BD1982’s dubbier productions, and Wonder’s straight rawness, but the breakneck pace may leave you disoriented. As long as you can handle the ride, Starkbass is a superb mix.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
XLR8R Downloads Player