Stars of the Lid And Their Refinement of the Decline
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Kranky
Since 1993, the duo of Brian McBride and Adam Wiltzie has been at the forefront of the drone movement. And Their Refinement of the Decline is not only their first studio album in six years, it's also the 100th release from seminal experimental imprint Kranky. Fittingly, the record is a subdued chef d'oeuvre, exploring frail melodies and dense soundscapes in equal strokes. From the opening horns of "Dungtitled (In A Major)" to the closing rumbles of "December Hunting for Vegetarian Fuckface," Refinement of the Decline is a two-hour juggernaut of careful dynamics and warm tones.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player