- Words: Tomas Palermo
- Label: !K7
Do we need another Radiohead copycat? Leeds quintet Stateless must get asked that a lot. Lead singer Chris James' delicate falsetto and his band's ethereal pop do beg comparisons, but dig deeper into Stateless' debut and a broader Brit-pop blueprint emerges, one that embraces everything from Zero 7 to Aphex Twin. "Prism #1" is a tour de force, with swelling, string-drenched choruses and lush melodic arrangements, while "Bloodstream"'s lazy tempo and moody lyrics recall Massive Attack's bleak ballads. James' earnest singing is often one note away from collapsing into pretension, but retreats enough to sustain the recording. Is this The Verve remixed by DJ Shadow? Nah, just Stateless making brilliant borderless pop.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player