Steinski What Does It All Mean? 1983-2006 Retrospective
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Illegal Art
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
About 25 years ago, ad men Steve “Steinski” Stein and Douglas “Double Dee” DiFranco crammed two dozen records into “The Payoff Mix,” a hip-hop classic that folks are still mining breaks from. This long-overdue retrospective, What Does It All Mean?, shows that Stein never lost his game. Among the essentials are the “Lesson” mixes (pitch-perfect snatches of old-school rap, funk, and cartoon wisecracks) and Stein’s controversial hip-hop piece on the JFK assassination, “The Motorcade Sped On,” alongside a clever anti-Gulf War protest, “It’s Up to You.” As well, the lesser-known “Vox Apostolica” and “Everything’s Disappeared” are great, scratched-up examples of hip-hop gone mental. Grab this and get schooled by the master.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player