Stephan Mathieu On Tape
- Words: J. David Marston
- Label: Hapna
Mathieu is a unique sound artist in that he's not easily pigeonholed into the requisite categories-lowercase, microtonal, pop ambient, strict gallery. For the listeners, this is indeed good, and here he moves to yet more interesting, organic territory. On Tape-a single 32-minute exploration-uses existing material, reworking and reprocessing it and adding his instrumentation, although you'd be hard pressed to find audio traces of this. It's a meditative piece that folds you in with a somewhat harsh initial tonal range and affectionate site recordings, only to lead you on a gorgeous walk down warm, rich, gathered paths.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player