Steve Aoki Pillowface and His Airplane Chronicles
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Ultra
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
As DJ of the celebs and a CobraSnake fixture, Steve Aoki is often discredited as an over-hyped hipster. Fortunately Pillowface and His Airplane Chronicles, his debut mix, mostly ditches the glitz for a quality listen of fun and danceable remixes. As an homage to his hardcore roots, the disc opens with Refused’s “New Noise,” which blends seamlessly into a Pase Rock-featuring re-edit of Justice’s “Waters of Nazareth.” The mix progressively blends genres as remixes of Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, and others feature new verses from Amanda Blank, Kid Sister, and Hot Hot Heat’s Steve Bays. If you can curb your hipster phobias, Pillowface and His Airplane Chronicles is good times.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player