Steve Aoki Pillowface and His Airplane Chronicles
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Ultra
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
As DJ of the celebs and a CobraSnake fixture, Steve Aoki is often discredited as an over-hyped hipster. Fortunately Pillowface and His Airplane Chronicles, his debut mix, mostly ditches the glitz for a quality listen of fun and danceable remixes. As an homage to his hardcore roots, the disc opens with Refused’s “New Noise,” which blends seamlessly into a Pase Rock-featuring re-edit of Justice’s “Waters of Nazareth.” The mix progressively blends genres as remixes of Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, and others feature new verses from Amanda Blank, Kid Sister, and Hot Hot Heat’s Steve Bays. If you can curb your hipster phobias, Pillowface and His Airplane Chronicles is good times.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- NewsAndy Stott Preps New LP for Modern Love; Hear a Track Now
XLR8R Downloads Player