Strange Fruit Project The Healing
- Words: James Mayo
- Label: Om
Named after the Billie Holiday classic, these three MCs (Myth, Myone, S1) from Waco, TX-a town that, in the early 1900s, allegedly lynched more black people than anywhere else in the US-deliver intelligent soul music worthy of Lady Day's blessing. For bittersweet, gospel-imbued, ghetto realism check out "Liberation." Dilla's influence permeates on the S1-produced "Ready Forum" and "Good Times," which sounds like UGK invading Slum Village. Easily one of the year's best releases, The Healing demonstrates that Texas hip-hop isn't just about candy paint and 22s.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player