!!! Strange Weather, Isn't It?
A decade has passed since !!!'s debut album took a snapshot of the sweat, noise, and antsy groove those guys hashed out in overcrowded parties and basements across the sleepy state capital of Sacramento. Fortunately, Strange Weather, Isn't It? proves they won't be doomed as quaint hipster schlock from the "dance punk" movement of yore.
This album is !!!'s leanest, funkiest, and most accessible work ever, as well as their darkest—the deaths of their drummers Jerry Fuchs and Mikel Gius loom high in the atmosphere. Frontman Nic Offer often dwells on betrayal and isolation. "You can roll up the window/But you can't drown out the wind," as he puts it on opener "AM/FM." The band later channels Public Image Ltd's death-disco vibe on "Jump Back," where somber, koto-like guitar riffs and Offer's graveyard imagery blanket a disco rhythm exhaled from the Paradise Garage. Guitarist Mario Andreoni deftly anchors such mood swings again on "Jamie, My Intentions Are Bass," jumping from gothic textures to bright, Chic-graced licks before ending the tune on a melancholic note through chords that drip like a rainshower. The closest thing to a centerpiece, "The Most Certain Sure," dives from a narcotic dancefloor groove into a dub-echo space where Offer's hazy vocals float upon the ether as if easing out of heartbreak.
Such uplift from dread makes Strange Weather a fitting party record for our age when so many American Dreams, lived and fantasized, are falling apart. Pass the bottle.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player