The Streets The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Vice
From bum to bum-rushed, Mike "The Streets" Skinner has charted his own pitfalls and pratfalls across three scuffed albums where he has gone increasingly further off-and into-his own head. Where Skinner once drew detailed cross-sections of an optimistic everyman with bruised candor, now fame just seems to have him sketched out. Conversely, the fractured garridge-brushed beats are even more creatively decorated and distressed. Still, nuanced arrangements don't excuse Skinner's most drug-fueled and self-destructive narratives. He excels at cheeky piss-takes on enduring (no-laughing) matters and general malaise, so hopefully this album's hermetic narratives are merely reflections in the rearview.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player