Subthunk Just a Few Notes Before You Go
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: Ureneely
Say it a few times. "Subthunk." Roll it around a little; try stretching out one of the syllables. "Suuuuubthunk." Make it sound like a food, or make it more onomatopoeic, like an upended bowl of spaghetti hitting the floor. It's a great name, at once sensual and evocative while completely lacking actual meaning. Subthunk is a quartet comprised of curiously fictional-sounding fellows like Ant and Pharaoh, who make hyperactive keyboard-led instrumentals with drums and guitar synth making guest appearances and a nasty, slappy funk bass under everything. Like the squishy name, Subthunk is an uneasy marriage of the organic, with noodly solos wrapping around and around, and that bass honking away; and the post-human, with goofy samples and live drums that mimic drum & bass programming.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player