Subtle Yell & Ice
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Lex
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
A collaborative reinterpretation of their last disc For Hero: For Fool, Subtle's repurposed Yell & Ice is new to you. Which is to say that its origins have been recombined, remixed, and revised within an inch of their cerebral yet funky lives, with the help of Hood's Chris Adams, TV on the Radio's Tunde Adebimpe, and more. The result is another set of banging jams built from either side of the tech spectrum, whether you're talking the digital thump of "Falling" and "Middleclass Haunt" or the spaced beatboxing of "Sinking Pinks." Subtle's sonic atmospheres emerge from their computers almost fully formed, even when they're manhandled by their friends' talented paws. A must-have for the visualizer generation.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player