Subtractivelad Giving Up The Ghost
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: n5MD
In Giving up the Ghost, Stephen Hummel hits his listeners with mile-high waves of synth drones and symphonics before snapping in IDM beats to break up the clouds. It is all about exorcising the "ghosts" in all of us 7-to-7ers, you see. He repeats this ambient method until one is restless enough to fast-forward through the filler to get to the rather lukewarm beats. However, some songs are worth the wait: "Freckle" is fine melancholia for homeless life under a 24th century city‘s glass dome, while "Nothing is Enough" weaves synth textures so thick that they smother like a pillow.
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player