Subtractivelad Giving Up The Ghost
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: n5MD
In Giving up the Ghost, Stephen Hummel hits his listeners with mile-high waves of synth drones and symphonics before snapping in IDM beats to break up the clouds. It is all about exorcising the "ghosts" in all of us 7-to-7ers, you see. He repeats this ambient method until one is restless enough to fast-forward through the filler to get to the rather lukewarm beats. However, some songs are worth the wait: "Freckle" is fine melancholia for homeless life under a 24th century city‘s glass dome, while "Nothing is Enough" weaves synth textures so thick that they smother like a pillow.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player