Sugar & Gold Get Wet!
San Francisco's Sugar & Gold has always been about crafting fun, sexy dance music with a genderless quality, a combination tailor-made for the queerest metropolitan area in the United States. But while the group's sophomore record has some undeniably grooving moments, these are offset by the fact that the group often uses the same sonic palette to guide every piece. A track like "Couvade" is full of lovely hooks, synth flourishes, and sexy vocal posturing, but it is followed by "Salty Seraphim," which utilizes many of the same synth sounds in different places in the mix. Thus, while pieces like the disco-housey "Stay Soft" and "Feels Like Fire" are begging to be played in the club, there are moments of boredom on Get Wet! that are difficult to get past.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player