Sunny Levine Love Rhino
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Quango
- XLR8R Rating: 5/10
The "love" part of this album's title is obvious, but the "rhino" might need some explanation. Singer-songwriter Sunny Levine wrote these songs after a failed relationship, hence the rhino metaphor: He's a tough-skinned creature who keeps on keepin' on. Though Levine has produced for a range of artists (Pete Yorn, Hugh Masekela) and comes from a musical family (Quincy Jones is his grandfather), this disc, his debut full-length, lacks depth, with stunningly dull lyrics straight from your seventh-grade journal. His idiosyncratic rock, mixing organic and electronic elements, isn't strong enough to make up for his lack of perspective or his pedestrian writing. As a producer, he's an old hand, but as a musician, he just sounds immature.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
XLR8R Downloads Player