Sunny Levine Love Rhino
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Quango
- XLR8R Rating: 5/10
The "love" part of this album's title is obvious, but the "rhino" might need some explanation. Singer-songwriter Sunny Levine wrote these songs after a failed relationship, hence the rhino metaphor: He's a tough-skinned creature who keeps on keepin' on. Though Levine has produced for a range of artists (Pete Yorn, Hugh Masekela) and comes from a musical family (Quincy Jones is his grandfather), this disc, his debut full-length, lacks depth, with stunningly dull lyrics straight from your seventh-grade journal. His idiosyncratic rock, mixing organic and electronic elements, isn't strong enough to make up for his lack of perspective or his pedestrian writing. As a producer, he's an old hand, but as a musician, he just sounds immature.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player