Supersystem Always Never Again
- Words: Carla Costa
- Label: Touch & Go
Formerly known as El Guapo, this outfit has experimented its way from free jazz to dance jams, but maybe the name change means they‘ve achieved a fusion that incorporates all their tinctures. Always Never Again melds frantic tempos into samba beats shaped by angular riffs, and takes herky-jerky bass bumper beats and weaves them with treble-heavy Middle Eastern guitar lines. The mix up is fun but the sound gets so bogged down with the mash-up of elements (synthetic spaz rock, dancehall, pop punk) that its textures start sounding contrived. A fun record, just one that‘s a little too self-conscious.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
XLR8R Downloads Player