Supersystem Always Never Again
- Words: Carla Costa
- Label: Touch & Go
Formerly known as El Guapo, this outfit has experimented its way from free jazz to dance jams, but maybe the name change means they‘ve achieved a fusion that incorporates all their tinctures. Always Never Again melds frantic tempos into samba beats shaped by angular riffs, and takes herky-jerky bass bumper beats and weaves them with treble-heavy Middle Eastern guitar lines. The mix up is fun but the sound gets so bogged down with the mash-up of elements (synthetic spaz rock, dancehall, pop punk) that its textures start sounding contrived. A fun record, just one that‘s a little too self-conscious.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player