Surgeon This Is For You Shits
- Words: Brock Phillips
- Label: Warp
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
The title is lifted from an onstage Suicide rant, so you know Surgeon’s limited-edition This Is For You Shits will pull no punches. The track selection is equally caustic–from the asthmatic wheeze of Aphex Twin’s “Ventolin” to Whitehouse’s sadistic “Dumping the Fucking Rubbish,” Surgeon does a masterful job of balancing elements of tension and release throughout the course of an hour-long set. Miss out on the limited 1000-copy run of this one? Seek out other sets he’s released online–“For Dog Faces Only” and “Neck Face” are equally worthy. While he may have cut his teeth as a minimal techno producer, “maximal” is now a more appropriate tag for Surgeon’s uncompromising approach to blending sound.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player