Surgeon This Is For You Shits
- Words: Brock Phillips
- Label: Warp
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
The title is lifted from an onstage Suicide rant, so you know Surgeon’s limited-edition This Is For You Shits will pull no punches. The track selection is equally caustic–from the asthmatic wheeze of Aphex Twin’s “Ventolin” to Whitehouse’s sadistic “Dumping the Fucking Rubbish,” Surgeon does a masterful job of balancing elements of tension and release throughout the course of an hour-long set. Miss out on the limited 1000-copy run of this one? Seek out other sets he’s released online–“For Dog Faces Only” and “Neck Face” are equally worthy. While he may have cut his teeth as a minimal techno producer, “maximal” is now a more appropriate tag for Surgeon’s uncompromising approach to blending sound.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
XLR8R Downloads Player