Sushirobo The Light-Fingered Feeling Of Sushirobo
- Words: Liz Cordingley
- Label: Pattern 25
Spurning all that cheating with software, Seattle's effects-heavy four-piece Sushirobo starts with late '70s art-punk aesthetics, layering modern pop/rock hooks, oddball tones and dub headiness. Frontman Arthur Roberts (ex-Posies) delivers esoteric lyrics in a voice that recalls Soul Coughing's M. Doughty. Though nearly every song has an unconventional structure culled from jam-style recording sessions, the experiment works best when grounded by steady beats, catchy vocals and incidental effects, as with highlight "Talk Show." At times it's hard to see the rock show forest for the twisted trees, but Sushirobo gets credit for sticking to the fringe on its second full-length.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
XLR8R Downloads Player