- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Italic
Infusing electronic music with an artistic aesthetic is certainly a more cultured production approach-but it doesn't guarantee great music. A nod to what his label calls new "Spanish Modernism," Barcelona's Alex "Sustainer" Alarcon models his stark tech-house after the same Basic Channel-styled grooves so recognizably purveyed by his German distributor, Kompakt. Yet while Alarcon's ambition is clear, Cuantico bears telltale signs of a novice producer. The keen rhythmic drive that distinguishes most Kompakt artists is lacking here, and frustratingly, Alarcon's progressions are so subtle that his promising pieces sound flatly monotonous. Artistically speaking, more a collection of beat studies than a finished collection.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player