Susumu Yokota & Rothko Distant Sounds of Summer
- Words: Rachel Shimp
- Label: LO
This collaboration between composer Yokota and Too Pure band Rothko features vocalist Caroline Ross, and all three equally shine. Opening with the hip-hop beat of "Deep in Mist," faraway pianos, elegant bass, and lazy vocals prep for the mutations ahead-"Water‘s Edge" invokes the pagan poetry of Dead Can Dance, while "Path Fades Into Forest" is a warm, acoustic guitar-based track. Beats reappear in "Clear Space," where a harmonica is as affecting as Ross‘ voice. Susumu & Co. have built careers subverting preconceptions about sounds, and discovering new ways to put them together-their combined experience makes Summer golden.
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- NewsMaya Jane Coles to Helm Next Fabric Mix Album
XLR8R Downloads Player