Susumu Yokota Over Head
- Words: Philip Sherburne
- Label: Play
Susumu Yokota is a little bipolar. On productions for his Skintone imprint (licensed by the Leaf Label), Sublime, Exceptional and even Harthouse, he's alternated between dance music and pure ambiance, exploring house, techno, disco and broken beat on the one hand, and deep, beatless sonorities on the other. Over Head sees Yokota's twin selves finally meeting up. The album's 10 tracks splice bells, traditional drums, mountain-spring-clear tones, and eerie, faraway voices into a careful churn propelled by techno's pulse and destabilized by broken beat's Brazilian swing. Like Four Tet for the dance floor, Over Head is possibly Yokota's best effort yet-and one of 2003's strongest releases.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player