- Words: Christine Hsieh
- Label: City Centre Offices
Crying into a frosty pint of beer never had a more appropriate soundtrack. Cinematic in scope yet intensely personal, Swod's Gehen-the product of Oliver Doerell (aka Dictaphone) and Stephan Wˆhrmann's collaboration translates melancholy settings into delicate melodies and plaintive instrumental flourishes. Swod accents rolling piano lines with clicks, whirs and pops before swathing everything in a feather-light electronic fuzz; the end result sounds a bit like a heavily depressed Four Tet. Though not the most subtle work, GehenM/i> is undeniably beautiful, arresting and, at the very least, an utterly pleasurable (if not a touch self-indulgent) musical atmosphere to wallow in.
- XLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
XLR8R Downloads Player