- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: City Centre Offices
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Sekunden is the second Swod album from longtime Berlin collaborators Oliver Doerell and Stephan Wöhrmann, but it has the depth and maturity of a 10th release. Working with shards of piano and bass alongside minimal electronics and disjointed field recordings, Swod deconstructs melodies to their bare essentials. Opener “Montauk” builds a collage from piano and bass loops, while “Ja” lets drawn-out chords and found sounds guide its ascent. Elsewhere, “Belgien” is an emotional neoclassical composition, while album closer “Paintage” allows enough drums and static to end on a (minimally) louder note. Comprised of complex pieces with a decidedly limited palette, Swod’s Sekunden is a masterful, moving work.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player