- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: City Centre Offices
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Sekunden is the second Swod album from longtime Berlin collaborators Oliver Doerell and Stephan Wöhrmann, but it has the depth and maturity of a 10th release. Working with shards of piano and bass alongside minimal electronics and disjointed field recordings, Swod deconstructs melodies to their bare essentials. Opener “Montauk” builds a collage from piano and bass loops, while “Ja” lets drawn-out chords and found sounds guide its ascent. Elsewhere, “Belgien” is an emotional neoclassical composition, while album closer “Paintage” allows enough drums and static to end on a (minimally) louder note. Comprised of complex pieces with a decidedly limited palette, Swod’s Sekunden is a masterful, moving work.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player