Symbolyc & Illmind The Art Of Onemind
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: BBE
Long-distance music collaborations (see Foreign Exchange and Postal Service) have been hyped for their unorthodox approach to making music. But Texan Symbolyc One and New Jersey native Illmind make damn sure you know they‘re a geographically-challenged duo on their debut, The Art of Onemind, including a set of bland testimonials and work-related voicemails on the album. Who cares? But any momentary annoyance is alleviated by the sincere, shuffling set of polished tracks. A steady one-two kick sets the pace, augmented with warm keyboards, elevating string samples, and glittering, rubbery synths. It‘s just plain pretty production that doesn‘t require all the sweet-talking.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player