T-Kash Turf War Syndrome
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: Guerilla Funk
The album's title sounds like something Three 6 Mafia might release, yet its content is surprisingly thought-provoking. Dispensing with most, if not all, of the clichés of gangsta or turf rap, T-Kash-a former Coup member and current protégé of Paris-absolutely flips the script with one of the hardest-hitting political rap albums ever to come from the West Coast. Whether it's jacking Nate Dogg hooks and trading misogyny for cheery-eyed rebellion, reworking "Shook Ones" as a revolutionary anthem, explaining "How to Get Ass(assinated)," or breaking down the socioeconomics behind "a psychological Hurricane Katrina," T-Kash maintains both a street-level perspective and a conscious mentality, and does both with lyrical finesse.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsHear Dntel's Upcoming LP for Leaving/Stones Throw
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player