T.O.K. Unknown Language
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: VP
A guilty pleasure that fits the summer of 2005 like a glove, T.O.K.‘s second album, Unknown Language, offers a slice of Jamaican dancehall in its most unabashedly American-influenced form. A power pop record in patois, Unknown collects all of the suave foursome‘s singles ("Gal You Ah Lead," "Galang Gal") from the past three years along with a smattering of new songs like the semi-conscious "Wah Gwaan" and the pulsing "Neck Breakers." While a remix of the reggaeton-flavored "She‘s Hotter" featuring Miami thug Pitbull may be the foursome‘s most fire single to date, the highlight may be "Tell Me If You Still Care," a sentimental ballad over Arif Cooper‘s Celebration riddim that evokes the group‘s roots in late ‘80s/early ‘90s American R
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player