Talkdemonic Eyes At Half Mast
- Words: Wyatt Williams
- Label: Arena Rock
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Talkdemonic may be one of Portland's best-kept secrets. The local-favorite duo of Kevin O'Connor and Lisa Molinaro uses its unlikely pairing–drums and viola–to craft tight yet reverberating tracks of pastoral melancholy. Molinaro, who recently moonlighted in The Decemberists, lends a dramatic, almost visual touch with her strings. The instrumental tracks on Eyes at Half Mast certainly recall the cinematic beauty of the Pacific Northwest, but that isn't to say they're calm or quiet. In fact, O'Connor beats the shit out of his drums on some of these tracks, drawing urgency from his lush, multi-instrumentalist arrangements. Sorry Portland, don't expect this to stay your secret much longer.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player