Tall Firs Too Old to Die Young
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Ecstatic Peace
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Like their Ecstatic Peace boss Thurston Moore, Tall Firs have a gift for slanted guitar atmospheres and laid-back vocals that feature as much slang as soliloquy. And like Moore’s Sonic Youth, the structure of Tall Firs’ anthems, like “So Messed Up” and “Blue in the Dark,” feature extended periods of guitar exposition mashed between their beginnings and ends. But Firs reach down closer to Neil Young’s roots than Glenn Branca’s on homespun yarns like “Lookout” and the finale, “Secrets and Lies.” But that’s just the back story: If you’re a chilled-jam fan that likes a freak-out here and there, Tall Firs’ second record will tickle your inner lava lamp.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player