Tanya Stephens Rebelution
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: VP
Tanya Stephens has always been a "singles" artist, producing a few killer tracks on top of albums filled with decent, though not outstanding, material. Rebelution proves no different. (Respect paid firstly to one of reggae‘s most diverse female vocalists, able to navigate seriously studious dancehall and acoustic roots equally.) With her sixth release, she keeps it more relaxed, though the rolling cymbal hits of "Who is Tanya" and upbeat swagger of "Spilled Milk" add plenty of juice to her rebellion. Intermittent monologues on spirituality and community are insightful but tend to weigh down the flow-choppy, but it still merits attention.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
XLR8R Downloads Player