Tanya Stephens Rebelution
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: VP
Tanya Stephens has always been a "singles" artist, producing a few killer tracks on top of albums filled with decent, though not outstanding, material. Rebelution proves no different. (Respect paid firstly to one of reggae‘s most diverse female vocalists, able to navigate seriously studious dancehall and acoustic roots equally.) With her sixth release, she keeps it more relaxed, though the rolling cymbal hits of "Who is Tanya" and upbeat swagger of "Spilled Milk" add plenty of juice to her rebellion. Intermittent monologues on spirituality and community are insightful but tend to weigh down the flow-choppy, but it still merits attention.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player