Taylor Deupree & Kenneth Kirschner May
- Words: Doug Morton
- Label: Room40
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Recorded live in May 2008 at the OFFF Festival in Portugal, May. is the premier live release for these two Brooklyn-based ambient experimentalists. Laptops at the ready, they “explore” the grand piano from the inside out (literally), digitally processing their findings on the fly and subsequently creating a supremely mesmerizing and perpetually morphing soundscape. Rich acoustic tonality disintegrates into waves of manipulated antimatter, spreading outward to embrace subsequent ivory transmissions in what becomes a cyclical push-pull of organic and synthetic textures. Fans of Taylor’s 12k and line labels will find all the subtle, shoegazing fragility they can wrap their egg-like heads around, although any inkling of this being a “live” recording will elude even them
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player