Telepathe Dance Mother
- Words: August Howard
- Label: IAMSOUND
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Dance Mother is a record that might prompt snarky thoughts of “Wow, anyone can be in a band these days.” After all, Telepathe’s Melissa Livaudais and Busy Gangnes aren’t particularly gifted vocalists, and their music is often a sparse collection of synth bleeps and drum-machine beats. That’s not to say that Dance Mother is a bad album—on the contrary, the Brooklyn duo’s debut full-length is a rather charming affair. From the Gary Numan-esque electro-pop of “So Fine” to the swirling synth shoegaze of “Can’t Stand It,” Telepathe knows its strengths and doesn’t overreach. Producer David Sitek (and his collection of analog synths) helps ensure that Telepathe sounds great—somehow the spare arrangements, unpolished vocal harmonies, and odd lyrical choices (there are a lot of unexpected “fucks”) all work. Maybe anyone could have made this record, but Telepathe did make it, and it’s a good one.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player