Terry Lynn Terry Lynn
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: Phree Music
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Kingston’s Waterhouse has long been a breeding ground for top-notch Jamaican talent, but it’s never produced anyone quite like Terry Lynn. “Born in the ghetto/Where da gangsters roll by/And dem gunshot echo,” Lynn spouts, observing tenement yard socioeconomics on tracks like “Politricks,” “System,” and “IMF” with as much authority as Damian Marley or Bounty Killer. Such a revolutionary artist demands a progressive sonic template. Eschewing JA’s formulaic soundsystem scene altogether, she links with producers like Olivier Giacomotto, techno head John Acquaviva, and Jonathan Coe, whose industrial-strength uptempo bashment riddims hammer Lynn’s message home inna classic ragga-house/junglist stylee. It’s not dancehall music so much as avant-garde dance music, coming from a voice of the ghetto that demands to be heard at full volume.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player