Thank You Terrible Two
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Thrill Jockey
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
What if late-’70s This Heat recorded for Load Records circa now? It might sound like Thank You’s Terrible Two. This Baltimore trio creates instrumentals that possess that maverick U.K. post-punk group’s cutthroat tenacity and flagrant tonal exploration. They also mirror This Heat’s penchant for screw-tightening riffing that induces an exquisite tension. A savvy savagery prevails throughout most of the disc’s 35 minutes, with opener “Empty Legs” tossing you into the maelstrom from the start with brisk, thunderous drums, cheetah snarls, and chimp shrieks. It’s a caustic palate-cleanser, with guitars set on “skin-peeling.” The intensity rarely wavers on Terrible Two, as the band’s maximalist volume, minimalist repetition, and potent drum sounds combine to form a free-rock dynamism that makes all your atoms stand at attention.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- MP3Line Idle "Woodblock (Automatic Tasty Remix)"
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player