Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Constellation
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Originally an outlet for GYBE! founder Efrim Menuck’s piano compositions, A Silver Mt. Zion has grown in name and scope over the last 10 years. 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons expands on Menuck’s apocalyptic vision. Opener “1,000,000 Died to Make This Sound” has all the elements of a classic ASMZ epic: guitar and violin crescendos, choir vocals, and Efrim’s trademark yelp. Elsewhere, the 15-minute title track breaks new ground for the band with Black Sabbath-esque guitars, while “Black Waters Blowed/Engine Broke Blues” hits a few heavy, dark climaxes. All of this builds to the moving perfection of “Blindblindblind,” where layered guitars build a symphonic funeral march.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player