Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Constellation
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Originally an outlet for GYBE! founder Efrim Menuck’s piano compositions, A Silver Mt. Zion has grown in name and scope over the last 10 years. 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons expands on Menuck’s apocalyptic vision. Opener “1,000,000 Died to Make This Sound” has all the elements of a classic ASMZ epic: guitar and violin crescendos, choir vocals, and Efrim’s trademark yelp. Elsewhere, the 15-minute title track breaks new ground for the band with Black Sabbath-esque guitars, while “Black Waters Blowed/Engine Broke Blues” hits a few heavy, dark climaxes. All of this builds to the moving perfection of “Blindblindblind,” where layered guitars build a symphonic funeral march.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player