Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Constellation
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Originally an outlet for GYBE! founder Efrim Menuck’s piano compositions, A Silver Mt. Zion has grown in name and scope over the last 10 years. 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons expands on Menuck’s apocalyptic vision. Opener “1,000,000 Died to Make This Sound” has all the elements of a classic ASMZ epic: guitar and violin crescendos, choir vocals, and Efrim’s trademark yelp. Elsewhere, the 15-minute title track breaks new ground for the band with Black Sabbath-esque guitars, while “Black Waters Blowed/Engine Broke Blues” hits a few heavy, dark climaxes. All of this builds to the moving perfection of “Blindblindblind,” where layered guitars build a symphonic funeral march.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player