Till the Old World's Blown Up a and New One Is Created
- Words: Michael Byrne
- Label: Mosz
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
It's a shame this collaboration will likely remain dwarfed by Fennesz's masterful and justifiably ballyhooed solo record, Black Sea—this is no less impressive, and arguably bolder. Fennesz is, of course, the tremendous brain behind numerous ambient-plus guitar/electronics syntheses; Austrian drummer Martin Brandlmayr has worked with post-rock outfits Trapist and Radian, and double-bassist/electronics player Werner Dafeldecker is part of Autistic Daughters, among others. The record's first half—the 35-minute title track—is a spliced tectonic drift, starting and ending in gnarled electronics and bridged by a glitchy ambient plateau of slipping and wobbling tonalities. The remainder of the record is largely devoted to a more post-rock sound, albeit abstract and improvised, with Brandlmayr's restrained drumming bringing us back to solid ground.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player