Tim Maia Nobody Can Live Forever: The Existential Soul of Tim Maia
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Luaka Bop
There's no shortage of excess in the roster of the world's great soul singers, and Brazilian singer Tim Maia is no exception: In his 55 years on earth, the singer, at his height in the '70s, survived drug use, a UFO cult, and five marriages. Of course, such a messed-up personal life can be an excellent foundation for good music, and in this sense Maia excelled as well. Though this collection includes English music, his rich, honey-smooth voice sounds best when he sings in his native Portuguese, layered against thick basslines and psych guitars. Even if you speak Portuguese, the depth in his voice makes the meaning of the words a moot point.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
XLR8R Downloads Player