Time Machine Life Is Expensive
- Words: Zoneil Maharaj
- Label: Glow in the Dark
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
This trio of L.A. transplants knows life’s worth, and thus, knows how to have a good time with it, crafting a vibrant and bumpin’ party album that’s also smart and aware. The laidback, observational opening track, “In the City of Everything,” introduces listeners to DJ/Producer Mekalek’s pounding drums and MCs Jet Set Jay’s and Biscuit’s buttery flow, before cranking up the tempo. Musically, Life Is Expensive is equal parts ’80s electro-pop and golden-era hip-hop. Joints like “(If You Know What) I Mean,” “The Groove That Just Won’t Stop,” and “We’re Making A Video” draw obligatory comparisons to Jungle Brothers and (early) De La Soul. It’s a record both the purists and the partygoers will appreciate.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player