The Timewriter Paintbox
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Plastic City
In 2002, Jean F. Cochois (a.k.a. The Timewriter) produced a lush, stirring masterpiece, the oft-overlooked Diary of a Lonely Sailor. But Cochois‘ fourth LP for Plastic City offers what he‘s better known for: the deep, atmospheric tech-house that has come to define that label‘s sound. The club-oriented Paintbox doesn‘t really compare to Diary‘s emotional scope, but it‘s enjoyable in its own right. "Reachin‘ Out," souped up with Cochois‘ bouncy synth licks, is a love letter to early ‘90s deep house, while "Room of a Million Rainbows" sounds like a throaty ‘80s pop ballad that could inspire serious tongue-jousting sessions.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player