Tom Burbank Famous First Words
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: Planet Mu
Famous First Words is a nice debut from Venice, California's Tom Burbank, combining a little bit of Ninja Tune-esque, chopped-up ambient (think Pest or Super Numeri) with Merck-y hip-hop beats (along the lines of Machinedrum) and a healthy dash of Planet Mu-style computer glitch. At its best-the infectious dancehall bounce of "Blabber Mouth," the whine of "Gnats," and the boomin' synths of "Knuckles"-the album is a slinky but chunky shuffle fest, perfect for either dancing or enthusiastic head-nodding. Occasionally it veers into easy-listening territory, but it's a strong debut nonetheless.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player