Tom Burbank Famous First Words
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: Planet Mu
Famous First Words is a nice debut from Venice, California's Tom Burbank, combining a little bit of Ninja Tune-esque, chopped-up ambient (think Pest or Super Numeri) with Merck-y hip-hop beats (along the lines of Machinedrum) and a healthy dash of Planet Mu-style computer glitch. At its best-the infectious dancehall bounce of "Blabber Mouth," the whine of "Gnats," and the boomin' synths of "Knuckles"-the album is a slinky but chunky shuffle fest, perfect for either dancing or enthusiastic head-nodding. Occasionally it veers into easy-listening territory, but it's a strong debut nonetheless.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player