Tom Vek We Have Sound
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: Universal
We Americans had our chance at early ‘80s dance rock already and nobody (save maybe the DFA) came close to Talking Heads or Gang of Four. Now it‘s Tom Vek‘s turn, and the one-Englishman band supports his half-yelped deadpan vocals with a powerful, straight-ahead rhythmic bash. "If You Want" rocks snappy bass, cowbells, claps and metronomic guitars, while rusty drum machines and keyboard squawks supplement the twangy guitar lines of "That Can Be Arranged." The obligatory disco-rock of "I Ain‘t Saying My Goodbyes" works fine, and if Vek switches up his vocal style more, he should be one to watch.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player