Tom Zé Estudando O Pagode
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Luaka Bop
Brazilian vocalist Tom Zé has had a long journey, from helping to forge his country‘s revolutionary sound, tropicalia, to a recent career resurgence spurred by David Byrne‘s Luaka Bop label. Nearing 70, Zé continues what he‘s best known for: fighting a rebellion against gravity in the form of song. Estudando O Pagode, an unfinished operetta devoted to women‘s rights, borrows from rock and samba while weaving in kazoos, children‘s choirs, and a homemade instrument made from a ficus tree. Tiptoeing up to the taboo-and keeping deep subjects interesting, even enjoyable-proves to be Zé‘s lifelong legacy.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsSpectral Sound Announces New EP from Patricia; Hear a Track Now
- MP3HolloH "Laying Awake"
- MP3Liar "Key Party (Spurz 'Key Bump' Edit)"
- NewsGroundislava Details Upcoming LP for Friends of Friends
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player