Tom Zé Estudando O Pagode
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Luaka Bop
Brazilian vocalist Tom Zé has had a long journey, from helping to forge his country‘s revolutionary sound, tropicalia, to a recent career resurgence spurred by David Byrne‘s Luaka Bop label. Nearing 70, Zé continues what he‘s best known for: fighting a rebellion against gravity in the form of song. Estudando O Pagode, an unfinished operetta devoted to women‘s rights, borrows from rock and samba while weaving in kazoos, children‘s choirs, and a homemade instrument made from a ficus tree. Tiptoeing up to the taboo-and keeping deep subjects interesting, even enjoyable-proves to be Zé‘s lifelong legacy.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Desto "Healing (Alternate Take)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player