Tommy Guerrero Return of the Bastard
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: Galaxia
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
I don’t know anything about Tommy G’s parentage, but the title of the S.F. skate icon/guitar hero’s latest solo effort could easily apply to his style, a hybrid of everything from surf’s-up mariachi to garage-y noise pop to lumpy-as-oatmeal funk to mellow Saturday-afternoon alt.dub. Whatever you call it, Tommy G has carved out an increasingly impressive musical oeuvre. Leaning more toward timelessness than predictability, Return of the Bastard sounds as dialed-in as Tommy’s ever been. It’s still fusionistic, spacey, and slightly experimental in approach, but there’s more of a sense of direction this time around. Guerrero’s gonna get there, alright, but he might just stop to smell the roses first.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
XLR8R Downloads Player