Tommy Guerrero Soul Food Taqueria
- Words: Liz Cordingley
- Label: MoWax
More hammock-on-la-playa than downtown-on-the-bus, Soul Food Taqueria is a nice case of dubby, electric guitar-driven downtempo. Ex-pro skater Tommy Guerrero has his foot on the effects pedal and his fingers on sultry Latin inflections, arriving at dusty lo-fi soul that is seductively languid. The largely instrumental album features occasional guest vocals from Gresham Taylor and Lyrics Born. A bluesy intro and three atmospheric interludes render the ambience palpable. Nicely programmed, the songs on Taqueria have their own eclectic personalities, like the sandy characters you might meet ambling up from the beach to order tacos under a heavy, humid twilight.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player