Tony Thomas 21st Century Dub
- Words: Joe Rice
- Label: Soma
Towards the end of those warehouse days of glory, some DJs played a chunky mix of beats-stripped down and tribal, with an organic funk and an unrelenting assault of bongos. Tony Thomas's debut album for Soma hearkens back to that tribal house heyday with its steady pulse, echoes of African chants, and those ever-present bongos. Thomas's is a toughened up version-sleeker and techier, and as the title suggests, he hasn't forgotten the bassline. The CD (unlike the LP) is a constant mix, and while the tracks tend to all mine the same vein, as dancefloor material it's perfect. Put it on and sweat.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player