Tony Thomas 21st Century Dub
- Words: Joe Rice
- Label: Soma
Towards the end of those warehouse days of glory, some DJs played a chunky mix of beats-stripped down and tribal, with an organic funk and an unrelenting assault of bongos. Tony Thomas's debut album for Soma hearkens back to that tribal house heyday with its steady pulse, echoes of African chants, and those ever-present bongos. Thomas's is a toughened up version-sleeker and techier, and as the title suggests, he hasn't forgotten the bassline. The CD (unlike the LP) is a constant mix, and while the tracks tend to all mine the same vein, as dancefloor material it's perfect. Put it on and sweat.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player